Foreign Riders in South Africa

Question 1: Hello, I am a foreign visitor from outside of South Africa and I was wondering if my valid US driver’s license allows me to drive a motorcycle or scooter while I am visiting South Africa?

Answer 1: First let me say this: The foreign license you want to use must be for the same vehicle you want to ride or drive in South Africa.

For example, you can’t use a Motor Vehicle (Car) License to ride a motorcycle, or a Motorcycle License to drive a car in South Africa.

In short, your Motorcycle License may be used, for a limited period, to ride a motorcycle in South Africa providing your license is in an official South African language, with a photo of yourself including your signature imprinted on the license.

The Law
Section 23 of the National Road Traffic Act 93 of 1996 provides that a driving license issued in any other country (in other words a foreign license) shall be deemed to be a license for the purposes of driving in South Africa and the period in respect of which the license shall remain valid to drive in SA, shall be as prescribed. This section is supported by Regulation 110(1) which states that a foreign driving license shall be valid to drive in SA if:
(i) The license has been issued in an official language of SA; or (ii) A certificate of authenticity or validity issued in an official language of SA by a competent authority, or a translation of that license in an official SA language, is attached to the license.

(2) The license contains or has attached to it a photograph and the signature of the license holder.

These provisions of the Act clearly permit a person to drive in SA with his/her foreign driving license, provided the license meets the above requirements. The license will be valid for the period that is stated on the license itself (if a time period is listed). In your case, as a visitor to SA, you are certainly allowed to drive with your USA license. The time period for which your license will be valid in SA will be stipulated on your license itself (if any). However, as a regular visitor to SA, it is advisable that you use an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in SA, as this document is easily identifiable by our traffic officials and will prevent you from encountering any possible problems with them. Many car rental companies (as a policy) now require an IDP when renting cars to foreign visitors as this will ensure compliance with their insurance requirements regarding the rented vehicle. However, some car rental companies will easily accept a foreign license as it may not be a requirement in terms of insurance the position is subjective to each individual car rental company.

Different laws apply if you seek permanent residency and want to convert your Foreign License to a South African License.

Question 2: We transported our motorcycle from France, also registered in France, and would like to travel in South Africa. Do we need any special insurance before we can do so?

Answer 2: You don’t need any insurance to ride in SA. The 3rd Party insurance is included in the price of the fuel, but good luck making a claim! Your insurers in France would probably be reluctant to issue cover for South Africa or any other non-EU country for that matter. Most RTW travellers ride without fully comprehensive insurance, which is one of the reasons so many take cheap bikes. Any ‘road tax’ that needs to be paid will be collected when your bike clears customs; it’s only a few Rand so nothing to worry about.

To get your motorcycle cleared into SA you will need a CDP (Carnet De Passage). It’s a document that guarantees the government will get their import duties if you don’t re-export your vehicle within a certain time frame, meaning you don’t have to pay import duties when the bike clears customs into SA.

A side note on safety:

Please keep LEFT, and think Kilometres not Miles per Hour, the speed limits are clearly marked on our roads; 60km/h in built-up areas in town or city limits and 100-120km/h on main roads and freeways.

Most newer model motorcycles/scooters take 97, 95, or 93 Unleaded Fuel, so please be sure to fill up correctly.

That said, most certainly install the Mobile App called mySOS. This is a mobile Emergency Activate Service and quick access to various emergency services closest to your location in South Africa.